The Best Title I Can Think of Is Too Long and Unprintable
I have had up to God-damn here with the bullshit white people manage to pull on the regular, and I’m pretty sure that my thoughts on race as they relate to recent events can fill up a whole other post in and of themselves. This, however, is a level of fucked up I don’t know that I can deal with at the moment. So, this isn’t an organised anything, just my immediate thoughts:
- Don’t deny that this was racially motivated; people don’t randomly walk into a church and shoot up the joint.
- Relatedly, I don’t see how you can call this anything but a hate crime. Terrorism also works.
- And, of course, it’s a fucking white guy. Remember, kids, if you’re white and male, you can act with complete impunity in this country. Do whatever the fuck you want; the most you’ll get is decades of appeals to a twenty to life prison sentence.
- Which brings me to the worst part of this: he shot. Up. A. Goddamn. Church. Historically, churches were places of refuge–violence on their grounds was forbidden out of deference to the Prince of Peace. But again, if you’re white and a dude, you can do whatever the hell you want and get away scot fucking free.
- Of course, this has historically been the case, as well. The first news I got of it–from John Green’s Facebook page–pointed the obvious parallels with the church bombings of the 1950s and 1960s. Going back further, you have the Klan, the Confederacy, slavery. White people have been getting away with shit since this country was founded.
- And, of course, the news comes out of South Carolina–and I mean no offence to any natives of the Palmetto State who might happen to read this when I call it the most racist state in the Union, even accounting for Mississippi.
- And, of fucking course, this will follow the White Dude Mass Shooting Script that’s popped up: he was mentally ill, the pastor (who was also a fucking state senator) said something Not Nice about white people, it’s a deliberate plot to instigate a racial war in this country, something or a goddamn nother to hold off the possibility that this was an act of terror.
- This has led me to a deeply insane side of Twitter that I don’t know I’d have gone down willingly otherwise. Reading through #Charleston, strange bits turn up like pebbles tossed out of a stream.
- People, we need to talk about race in America in the digital age, the sooner the better.
- Where do we go from here? Prayer seems insufficient; although I’ve no doubt that conversation is necessary, we’ve been over this God only knows how many times. Are white guys this fucking dense? How much longer does the list have to get before my Caucasoid brethren finally fucking get it?